Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wedding Ceremony Harpist, Riverside Receptions, Geneva


The courtyard at Riverside Receptions in Geneva

I really love Autumn weddings in general, but this one was particularly lovely.  The bride had a great sense of what she wanted, and the event planner, Carlene Smith at Naturally Yours Events, was really terrific. The flowers were spectacular, as the florist (Heidi at FieldAndFlorist.com) has her own flower farm in Barrington and an artist's eye.


Autumn arrangement by Heidi at Field and Florist in Chicago

The courtyard at Riverside Receptions is lovely, but it is a public space. People were kind of randomly coming and going until I began to play. Like magic, all of the wedding guests came and sat down, and the people who didn't belong headed for the exit.  

The bride chose really eclectic music, which I always love.  She had the bridal party enter to The Nightingale, and then she entered to Debussy's Clair de Lune.  I have only used "Clair de Lune" as a bridal procession twice in the last 20 years, but both times the congregations have literally gasped just a little bit. Something about the beautiful bride and Debussy's song about moonlight just really grabs people.  Then, for the recessional, the bride wanted "Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins.  I was a little worried at first since you don't right away think "harp" when you think about the Pumpkins, but it turned out really well. I'm definitely going to be playing "Tonight, Tonight" whenever I get the chance.


A lovely aisle highlighted by flower petals.

This was my first time working with the event planner, Carlene, so after everything had turned out so beautifully, I was eager to talk to her and find out more about her company.  She described her service as, "Non-traditional, eco-friendly, and a little quirky."  Additionally, she says that couples come to her at all stages in the planning process, with all types of ideas and all budgets.  She says nothing is too out of the box for her staff, and they concentrate on creating a fun and memorable party.  I saw it in action, and I can highly recommend her!

If you just can't imagine "Tonight, Tonight" on the harp, call me directly and I'll give it a go over the phone!  (773) 881-0706.  

No comments:

Post a Comment