Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Portiuncula Chapel (Oak Brook) Wedding Ceremony Harpist




The Portiuncula Chapel (on the Peabody Estate in Oak Brook) is one of the most distinctive venues in all of Chicago.  The chapel was built in 1926, and is a replica of a chapel in Assisi, Italy.  The chapel is a National Historic Landmark, and has a fascinating history which you can read about here. If you are looking for an intimate venue in a secluded setting, this should definitely be on your short list!

On the day I played there, the weather was really cooperative!  Snow has been in short supply here in Chicago this winter, but there was enough that day to make the landscape look absolutely beautiful without blocking any of the paths I needed to use for my harp!  




In some venues I need all of my harp's resonance to fill the room, but that is definitely not the case in this little gem of a building.  With its diminutive size and hard surfaces, I was more concerned that I not blast the guests with harp music!



The Mayslake/Peabody Estate website states the capacity of the chapel at 62 seats.  On the day I played, the chapel was set for 40 guests, and that felt comfortable with plenty of room for everyone to move around. I have seen the chapel with the doors thrown open to accommodate guest seating on the surrounding walkways, and that is a lovely option when the weather allows.  The Mayslake website has lots of wonderful information (including pricing).  If you need harp music, too, you can find all of my information at www.ChicagoWeddingHarpist.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment