Tuesday, March 27, 2012

St. Michael's in Old Town Wedding Ceremony Harpist




St. Patrick's Day was a special treat for me this year, as I was able to spend it playing a beautiful Irish wedding at St. Michael's in Old Town. This gorgeous church has a fascinating history interwoven with the Chicago fire (which you can read about here), and sits just one block off of the busy North Avenue corridor.  Even though the church is near a thriving commercial area, you feel like you've stepped back in time as you approach the building.  As I rolled my harp towards the entrance, the tower bells (which were installed and dedicated in 1876) rang through the neighborhood.  What a beautiful way to call your guests to your wedding!

The lovely Irish bride made several wonderful decisions that truly made her wedding reflect her personality.  First, she included lots of Irish music.  She chose an Irish processional from a website featuring Celtic ceremony ideas, and encouraged me to fit other Irish choices in wherever I could.  I used a lovely little song called "The Lark in the Clear Air" for the unity candle, and I thought it worked so well that I plan to put it on my website just as soon as possible.  Additionally, the bride choose to have me play for the bridesmaids, and have the organist play for her entrance.  I was seated to the right of the main altar (in front of the St. Joseph Altar, see below), and I was able to easily play for the mass parts and the presentation to Mary from that location.  I wish St. Patrick's Day fell on Saturday every year; what an inspirational day for a wedding!

To start thinking about your perfect wedding music, visit www.ChicagoWeddingHarpist.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment